Account | Sign Out

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The program
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:25 pm 

Our program was divided into two parts—the mobile units and clinic/hospital work.

The mobile units were a great experience. It mainly consisted of working with the street population of La Paz in wound care, abuse, and regular URIs/possible tuberculosis. As a student, you are able to ask questions, but know that if you are not fairly competent in Spanish (or maybe even almost fluent), the Doctor may not understand you, and you will have difficulty understanding the Doctor and the pt. Even though my Spanish proficiency was sub par, it was still a great learning experience, as I got to become more familiar with wound infections, problems unique to the homeless, and different medicines.

We saw a lot of TB in the hospital, so I highly recommend bringing TB masks (which you need to be fitted for) before leaving for Bolivia. We had a great preceptor who drilled us on the protocols for AIDS, TB, and dangerous bacterial infections, and who answered all of our questions. He also showed us X-rays and scans for the chest and abdomen, so I would get good at reading X-rays (especially for the abdomen) before leaving.